Last Updated: November 12, 2020
You've probably thought about obtaining citizenship in another country. After all, everyone should have a choice where to live, study, work and raise children. Therefore, below we have collected information on how to obtain citizenship in Montenegro.
Today, Montenegro is one of the most attractive countries for obtaining citizenship. And that's why:
Benefits of Montenegro Citizenship
- Visa-free entry to more than 120 countries, including Schengen countries, the UAE and Singapore.
- Montenegro is a member of NATO and a candidate for EU membership in 2025.
- There are no requirements for living in the country.
- It is easy to open your own business here.
- Optimization of taxation: the tax rate on personal income is 9%.
In addition, Montenegro - a wonderful country to live with family and children... It has a wonderful climate, beautiful nature and delicious food. In addition, housing prices are at the Russian level and cheaper than in the EU countries. Education in local universities takes place according to the Bologna system, which will help you or your children find a job in any European country.
Earlier we wrote about how to get a residence permit in MontenegroNow we’ll tell you more about the methods of obtaining Montenegrin citizenship.
How to obtain citizenship of Montenegro
The law on the program for the granting of Montenegrin citizenship was issued in November 2018. The first applications for obtaining Montenegrin passports for investment began to be accepted in January 2019.
However, the program requires the applicant to make a gratuitous contribution to the government fund and additionally purchase real estate in Montenegro. If the applicant passes the Due Diligence check, he and his family members will receive Montenegrin citizenship.
At the same time, in order to obtain a Montenegrin passport for investment, you do not need to know the language or history of the state. In addition, there is no obligation to reside in the country.
What is important: the program is designed for 3 years, and the number of applications is limited by quotas - 2 quotas.
Also note that in Montenegro You cannot have dual citizenship... Therefore, you will have to give up your Russian (or Belarusian, Ukrainian, etc.) passport. However, there are a number of exceptions:
- If you have the citizenship of another country with which Montenegro has a special agreement on dual citizenship (for example, Macedonia).
- Citizenship of Montenegro and also of another country before Montenegro gained independence in 2006.
- If you are a citizen of the former Republic of Yugoslavia and became a resident of Montenegro at least five years before its independence and lived in it all this time.
- Participation in the Citizenship for Investment program (more about it below).
Conditions for obtaining a Montenegrin passport
General requirements for investor:
- Not an EU citizen;
- Over 18 years old;
- Has no criminal record;
- Passed a security check;
- Can confirm the origin of funds.
Also Montenegro passports can be obtained:
- Spouse / Spouse;
- Children under 18 years old;
- Children over 18 *.
* Children over 18 years old must be dependent on the main applicant.
Investment options for obtaining Montenegrin citizenship
Option # 1 from € 250.
A gratuitous contribution to a specially created state fund of Montenegro. The funds from which will be directed to the development of local government structures in accordance with the Law of Montenegro "On Regional Development". In addition, it is necessary to invest in real estate in development projects northern or central part of Montenegro (except for the capital of Podgorica).
Option # 2 from € 450.
Gratuitous contribution to a specially created state fund of Montenegro. In addition, you need to invest in development projects of the capital of Podgorica or the coastal region of Montenegro.
In both options, you need to pay:
- Investments in the state fund of the country - € 100.
- Application Fees:
- € 15 for one applicant;
- € 10 for each family member, but no more than 000 people;
- € 50 for each next family member.
(Total: € 35 for a family of three)
- Due Diligence:
- € 7 for one applicant;
- € 10 for a family of no more than 000 people;
- € 1 for each next family member.
(Total: € 10 for a family of three)
- Payment for licensed agent services
- € 45 for a family of three.
- Other expenses - €5 000.
Total for a family of three - € 195.
The procedure for obtaining citizenship of Montenegro
To get detailed step-by-step instructions on obtaining citizenship in Montenegro or Residence permit in Montenegroleave a request below.