How to get a residence permit in Montenegro? What are the benefits of a residence permit? What package of documents needs to be collected? You will find answers to these and other questions in our article.
If you were thinking about obtaining a residence permit in another country, we advise you to pay attention to Montenegro. This country can be loved not only for its medieval sights, warm climate and beautiful nature, but also for the opportunity to become a full-fledged European citizen. But first things first.
What is a residence permit?
Residence permit - temporary residence permit (or privremeni boravak in Montenegrin). It gives the right not only to legally stay on the territory of Montenegro, but also to work here.
Although the residence permit is given for a period of 1 year, it can be renewed. After you have lived continuously in Montenegro for 5 years, you can apply for permanent residence (permanent residence permit). Then live another five years in the country and get citizenship.
The advantages of obtaining a residence permit in Montenegro
- You can stay an unlimited amount of time in the country (previously, the stay was 90 days in a 180-day period, even if you had your own property).
- There is a possibility that Montenegro will become a member of the European Union by 2025. Therefore, obtaining a residence permit is a direct way to citizenship of the country and free movement in the EU countries.
- In addition, Montenegro is one of the countries where it is easiest to obtain a foreign passport. If Montenegro joins the EU, the passport will become European.
- In Montenegro it is quite easy to open a business. By the way, this is one of the ways to obtain a residence permit. Here is one of the lowest income taxes in the world - only 9-11%.
- And most importantly, Montenegro is one of the best countries for living with family and children. The cost of living here is lower than in many European countries. Children of residence permit holders can attend state kindergartens and schools. In addition, training in local universities is carried out according to the Bologna system, while in Montenegro you can buy and register a car in Montenegro if you are the holder of a residence permit. And also get a European-style driving license.
Ways to obtain a residence permit in Montenegro
- family reunification;
- international exchange programs for pupils, students, etc .;
- practical, vocational training;
- research work;
- passing treatment;
- humanitarian grounds;
- based on ownership of real estate in Montenegro;
- religious activities;
- marriage with a citizen of Montenegro;
- yacht ownership;
- other justified grounds in accordance with law or an international treaty.
But we will tell you more about the 5 most popular ways to obtain a residence permit in Montenegro.
1. How to get a residence permit through marriage?
To get a residence permit through marriage, you need to marry or marry a citizen (or someone who has already received a residence permit) of Montenegro. However, knowing the Montenegrin language is not necessary.
In addition, you must meet the following conditions:
- be older than 18 years;
- to marry / get married in the territory of Montenegro;
- provide evidence of income and place of residence;
- to prove that the money received in an honest way.
When applying, you must provide:
- copies of passports and birth certificates of both parties;
- copies of passports of two wedding witnesses;
- evidence that you are not married to another person (or a divorce certificate);
- apply for marriage 7 days before the wedding.
2. How to get a residence permit through work?
The main thing you need here is a contract with a local employer. Types of permits for temporary residence and work: employment of a foreigner, seasonal employment of a foreigner, business trip foreign worker.
3. How to obtain a residence permit through the opening of a company
To obtain a residence permit through the opening of a company, you need to register a company and appoint yourself a director. The form of ownership can be any, but it is better to create the Montenegrin version of the LLC - DOO At the same time, the authorized capital of the company can be only 1 euro. Duration of registration of a legal entity - 10-15 days.
It is worth noting that the company may not conduct business at all, provided that you will hand over financial statements and pay minimum taxes. The cost of maintaining the company is about 1500–2500 euros per year.
4. How to get a residence permit through the purchase of real estate?
Basis - ownership of real estate
Since 2015, the owners of their property in Montenegro, as well as their spouses and children, can obtain a residence permit. In addition, the value of the object is not important. But there are market limits - the minimum cost of apartments and houses in Montenegro, which averages from 40-50 thousand euros and higher.
Thus, a residence permit is issued to property owners for a year. In addition, the residence permit is extended an unlimited number of times as long as the object is owned.
Важно знать, что receive permanent residence on this basis it is impossible.
5. How to get a residence permit through family reunion?
The holder of a residence permit can bring close relatives to Montenegro, who are considered spouse and children under 18 years of age. In some cases, other close relatives, if you can prove good personal reasons for moving.
The procedure for obtaining a residence permit
The procedure for obtaining a residence permit is quite simple. A residence permit is issued by the Ministry of the Interior (Ministarstvo unutrašnjih poslova - MUP) and its units.
To do this, you need to follow these steps:
- Collect all the necessary documents and personally file with the Ministry of Internal Affairs;
- Pay fees (€ 25 per person);
- If all the conditions are met, you will be given a certificate that you have accepted the application and your case is being considered. With this certificate you can already legally be in Montenegro;
- Wait for a positive decision. Usually, applications are considered for one month, but the answer may come earlier.
What documents are needed to apply for a residence permit in Montenegro
Below is a list of documents that must be submitted (regardless of the method of obtaining a residence permit):
- Valid passport (the passport must be valid for at least 1 year and 3 months on the date of filing for a residence permit).
- Copy of all pages of a valid passport.
- Registration confirmation on the territory of Montenegro. However, it is not required when applying for a first residence permit at a diplomatic or consular mission.
- Proof of livelihood:
- bank account statement (at least 3650 euros),
- document on personal income on the basis of labor activity,
- proof of ownership of the property you are renting,
- a statement according to which an individual or legal entity undertakes to bear the costs of the stay of foreigners in Montenegro or other documents.
- Proof of Housing:
- document of ownership of the apartment / house,
- rental agreement
- A written statement from the owner of the home you live with
- certificate of placement through a business company or entrepreneur in Montenegro who rent housing.
- Health insurance for at least 30 days. It can be done at the Montenegrin insurance company or in your country.
- Receipts for the payment of a fee for the issuance of a temporary residence permit - Payment can be made by mail or at the bank with the details that will be given to you at the Ministry.
It should be noted that all documents must be submitted. personally (exception - the applicant's incapacity). If you apply for a residence permit “through the device to work”, the employer can submit a package of documents.
If you need help with the preparation of documents, leave a request at the bottom of the page. We will help you.